Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"Mr. Bukowski will have the Soup De Jour...Oh yeah and a beer."

I wonder what lunch with Charles Bukowski would have been like. Today, in between all the activities and conversations I pursued, I thought about it. This is how it plays out in my mind; Chuck and myself would go to a small diner style place with red stools and mica counter tops. He would smile ever so gracefully at the waitress and comment on how great her ass looks. I would laugh and agree simply to make the man happy. Upon viewing the menu, I would order the greasiest plate of meatloaf and playdoh molded potatoes I could get my hands on. Chuck would order a steak, maybe with fries. For drinks, both beer, although Chuck would jokingly ask for a wine list.

We would talk about life and women. I'm sure at some point we would disagree on the subject of love but not too much. I would tell him how I'm in love with a beautiful girl named Diana. He would call his last female friend a whore and explain how he set her free because of it. After lunch was done and our drinks were too, I'm sure I would bring up dessert but Chuck would decline. After I throw a 10 dollar bill down on the table, Chuck would smile and I would throw down one more...